Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why Perfection? Why Not Choose Joy?

Why do I feel that in order to do anything, wash the dishes, vacuum the floors, clean the tub, cook dinner, bake a cake, write words, speak into a life, that it all must be perfect?

What's so great about perfection? Why do we strive for it so? Why do we need the perfect dress, the perfect house, the perfect bank account, the perfect life?

Why can't we cling to love and embrace this imperfect life rather than wishing it away for something that is unattainable, aka perfection?

God created me for this life, not some other life that I have dreamed up in my head, that "perfect life" that I find myself day dreaming and pinning about. This life, right here and now, is what I am here for.

I am here to see Jesus and experience Him in daily life. I am here to have Lyme disease. I am here to love, to show mercy and forgiveness through the grace of God. I am here to be thankful for every thing that I have been given, for it is from above. I am here to share my life with you.

I am here to love this husband of mine, to enjoy every minute that we have together because we will never get to re-live this moment again. Not to spend time wishing away our "just us" days for days full of babies, not waiting until we have our own house, two cars, or a bigger bank account. No more waiting for "our life to start", it has started! It is right now and I don't want to miss a single minute of it! 

This life is about choosing faith in the midst of uncertainty, saying "thank you" even when we've had a bad day, and it's about choosing joy.

I want to choose joy. I want to know that in the midst of feeling hurt, I can choose joy, in the midst of feeling useless and burdensome, I can choose joy. It doesn't matter where I am, what I am going through, who has hurt me, who I have hurt, how much I've screwed up, or how I can't even seem to get out of bed without assistance. I will choose joy.

It is a hard choice, it takes effort and thought, it takes persistence and God given strength. But it is worth it. Joy is worth it all. Joy grants perspective. Joy produces a thankful heart (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). Joy touches lives.

Joy is beautiful.

Will you choose joy with me? In the midst of imperfection, will you give Jesus your imperfect life, your imperfect faith and choose joy? 

I will struggle and I will fail in my striving for joy, but I truly believe that the more that I long for it, work for it, move towards it, that it will become more a part of my life. More a part of who I am. Oh to be a person that emanates joy. That I might let Christ rule in a way that produces a joy filled life.

Jesus thank you for...
...granting us the choice of joy.
...Your desire to rule and reign in my life.
...Your care of every moment and aspect of this life.
...Your words written.
...grace poured out.
...Your perfect plan in the midst of this imperfect life.

No comments:

Post a Comment